Thursday 25 June 2015

Vague about grey



Nice newcomers for the year are arriving steadily here, last night including Shoulder-striped Wainscot and Small Dotted Buff, but I am still defeated by moths such as the two silvery-grey ones shown here. I continue to leaf through WT&L and the various internet Flying Tonight websites but no certain joy so far. I'm also wondering about the one below which looks too interesting to my amateur eye to be a Heart & Dart but I know they vary greatly. Help much appreciated. Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon

3 comments:

  1. Hello Martin, the pictures are rather on the dull side and I'm not sure that we're getting the correct colours reproduced here. With no great certainty that I'm correct, I'd suggest looking at Sycamore for the top one and Large Nutmeg for the middle one, but the images do need to be rather brighter and with an indication of size to stand a chance of getting an accurate ID. The third picture is definitely a Heart and Dart, though! They can be quite variable in appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dave on the image dullness, but I think the first one is another Large Nutmeg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much both, much appreciated and I'm sorry about pic quality (I'm still struggling to master my Lumix compact) and lack of size. I went back to the eggboxes just now and rephotographed three moths which I think include the two. The pics are still poor, I'm afraid, but have scale. Having been put on the right track, I'm also wondering if they are all Large Nutmegs. I'll post them shortly. All warm wishes Martin

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.