Wednesday 4 April 2018

Help with ID

With at last a bit of a warmer night last night I put my trap out and caught 64 moths. My largest catch since I started in October! I caught Common Quaker 14, Small Quaker 11, Hebrew Character 10, Clouded Drab 8 (one of which was very pale), Twin Spotted Quaker 6, Oak Beauty 4, Chestnut 3 and March Moth 3. I also caught 2 of what I think are Brindled Pugs and 1 Early Tooth Striped. Would someone mind confirming that is what they are? Also two Micros which I believe are both Diurnea fagella.....but I'm probably hopelessly wrong!
Pug 1

Pug 2

Early Tooth Striped?

Clouded Drab Pale?

Micro 1

Micro 2
Many thanks

Lorna Woolhouse, Checkendon, South Oxon

2 comments:

  1. Hello Lorna, yes your pugs are both Brindled Pug which (along with Double-striped Pug) is generally the first to appear each year. In a week or two watch out for Oak-tree Pug which is another early starter. Early Tooth-striped and Clouded Drab are both correct, while the last two micros are indeed Diurnea fagella which has both dark and light forms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow full house! I must be getting better! Thanks for all your help again Dave and I shall keep a look out for the next lot of Pugs to appear.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.