Friday 20 April 2018

IDs please

A much better night last night with some NFM - I think the warm weather might has trigered dispersal of the Dotted Chestnut and Yellow-Horned because asfar as I can tell we don't really have their habitat around here.

So I think I have

a different colour form of a Clouded Drab

Dotted Chestnut

Double striped Pug?

Common or Powdered Quaker - if powdered more brown than usual - or maybe just a worn Common

Another pug - big one (the gradations are in mm)

Yellow-Horned







2 comments:

  1. Hello Mark, you started off well! Yes to Clouded Drab, Dotted Chestnut and Double-striped Pug. To me the next one looks like a Small Quaker (Powdered Quaker is generally a larger moth even than Common Quaker, closer to Clouded Drab in size). The next Pug will need your CMRs eyes to confirm but I would have said it was a good candidate for Oak-tree with, amongst other things, the prominent discal spot and whitish area beyond. For the final one you chose the wrong one of the pair - that's actually Frosted Green which in my experience turns up in gardens rather more often than Yellow Horned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Dave - I'd forgotten about the Frosted Green as it's another one I've not seen before..I also put it down as "Green Horned" so I guess I'd already managed to conflate the two!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.