Sunday 29 April 2018

Three moths and a beastie


Hello everyone! I'm very slow in starting this year and will be intermittent as most of my energies are going into preparations for sculling from Oxford to London in September for this: https://gogetfunding.com/rowing-down-the-river/

However, I finally hauled the trap out last night, with a beautiful stash of new and clean eggboxes, and was rewarded this morning with the small, fly-y creature in my picture, a Nut-tree Tussock, a Hebrew Character and a Powdered Quaker. I note that these three moths are respectively first, third and 24th in order of records on the excellent Hants Moths Flying Tonight page.   Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon

2 comments:

  1. Hi Martin, welcome back from hibernation! Your beastie appears to be a midge of the non-biting variety from the family Chironomidae, of which there are a lot around at the moment. It would need a fly expert to get any further than that, if indeed it is possible at all just from a photo (I see there are 600+ species to choose from!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Heavens! 600! Thanks so much, Dave. I'm always interested in the moths' fellow-travellers such as this one, but despair of ever being able to ID them myself. I meant to say in the post how marvellous it is about all the Emperor moths. My last pupa is still inert (and three years old now) but you never know. All warm wishes and thanks again, M Oh and btw, thinking of flies, we have the horrible Blandford Fly around now. If any of them go into the trap, they will not come out alive.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.