Monday 9 April 2018

Powdered Quaker?

I put my trap out in the garden the night of Saturday 7th. I was very pleased to catch 175 moths of 18 species! I had Small Quaker 47, Common Quaker 37, Clouded Drab 31, Hebrew Character 17, Twin Spotted Quaker 10, Brindled Pug 7, Oak Beauty 6, Chestnut 5, Brindled Beauty 3, Shoulder Stripe 2, Early Tooth Striped 2, Satellite 1, Early Thorn 1, Dotted Chestnut 1, Grey Shoulder Knot 1, Pine Beauty 1, Herald 1 and Diurnea fagella 1. I wondered if I also caught a Powdered Quaker? Or is it just a Common Quaker?
Powdered Quaker?

Dotted Chestnut

Herald


Pine Beauty


I also found this lovely Pill Beetle underneath my trap. It has the amazing ability to retract its legs when its frightened so that it looks rather like a bit of rabbit poo!

Pill Beetle



Pill Beetle



Lorna Woolhouse, Checkendon, South Oxon

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lorna, that's a good collection of moths but I'm afraid your Powdered Quaker is just a Common Quaker. I know it is not very helpful to say "you'll recognize it when you see it" but I'm sure that'll be the case when you do eventually get Powdered - it has that almost uniformly pale sandy colour with plenty of "powdering".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave, I shall keep my eyes open for one. I think I was being a bit hopeful thinking it was one!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.