Sunday 22 April 2018

Lesser Swallow Prominent?

I put my trap out three times this week with at last some warmer weather. I had over 100 moths each night and quite a few new species. New for me were Lunar Marbled Brown, Nut Tree Tussock, V-Pug, Purple Thorn, Scorched Carpet and what I'm hoping is a Powdered Quaker? I also was delighted to get a very smart Lesser Swallow Prominent. Please can someone confirm that it is Lesser rather than Swallow Prominent.
Lesser Swallow Prominent?

Powdered Quaker?

Lunar Marbled Brown

I also found this caterpillar whilst doing some weeding. It was in a big clump of Arum. Does anyone know what it might be?


Many thanks

Lorna Woolhouse, Checkendon, South Oxon


9 comments:

  1. Hello Lorna, yes to Lesser Swallow Prominent and Powdered Quaker amongst your nice collection of moths. Not sure about the caterpillar but you could always try rearing it through...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lorna,

    Looks as though it might be yellow form of large yellow underwing larva.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks Dave and Alan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lorna,

    Do you use the UKmoths website run by Ian Kimber?

    If you google it you will find it, click on search, click on by moth name type in large yellow underwing and search. The second of the larva is the yellow form which looks like yours.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alan,
    Yes I do use that website a lot. It is a fantastic resource for a newbie like me! I did check out the Large Yellow Underwing larva and as you say it looks just like mine. Thanks for the ID help.

    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  6. The other site I use a lot is the Norfolk moths website; it is brilliant. It tends to have more photo examples of individual species which is helpful if there is much variation. The other thing that is brilliant is it has a page of both thelatest micro and macro moth photos. Like you I am a newby and it is a good guide to what you might expect to see, albeit in Norfolk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the Hants moths website - the "flying tonight" section is very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, Rob. The Hampshire Moths website (link available on the right hand side of this page) is a very useful resource indeed and Hants does at least border our area. I've not really found the need to consult the Norfolk website but I'm sure it is one of quite a few good county-based internet resources that are worth remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    Had a look at Hants site. Very impressive.

    Worth having a look at Norfolk site. I promise, it will knock your socks off!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.