Friday 20 April 2018

Mystery Pug

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this Pug caught in Sonning last night. Apologies for the poor photo - it wouldn't sit still - even after cooling (which might in itself help to narrow things down). I thought it was Dwarf Pug, but on checking the UK Moths website etc, the flight period for that species apparently starts in June. It has distinctive rounded wings (but not as rounded as Green Pug) and at rest these are swept back, as opposed to straight out like the Brindled and Mottled Pugs which I also caught last night. It is smaller than those two species, but not as small as Double-striped Pug and of course the wings are nowhere near the same shape as that species. Any suggestions welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent - many thanks Martin. having checked other images across t'interweb, I am sure you're right.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.