Saturday 14 April 2018

Possible Migrants

With another singleton last night, I've now had six Blossom Underwings in the garden over the past week, including a pair on the 12th.  From what I've seen at two of its local oak woodland sites (Finemere Wood and Bernwood Forest) the species is having a reasonable year, but to find this many in the garden trap where the closest oak woodland is over a mile away and hedgerow oaks are few and far between is quite un-precedented (I average a singleton here every other year).  The species is known to migrate and as we've had easterly winds for quite a few days I wonder if some of them might be visitors from continental Europe.

Blossom Underwings, Westcott 12th April

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dave, can you blow a few of them a bit further south please! I have yet to see one.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.