Sunday 4 August 2019

A couple of micro queries

My garden trap here in Cookham is still drawing in more micros than macro moths. On Friday night 2nd August, I managed to count 79 Diamond-back Moths, and there were probably some escapees.
The only macro of interest was a single Gypsy Moth.
I thought this micro below might be Phycitodes binaevella, although it seems rather small with a fw length of only 8mm.


And this small dark moth I really can't identify. It has a noticeable yellowish mark on the edge of the wing, and the fw length is 5mm.


Steve Trigg, Cookham

3 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, on size and pattern of dots, your first moth seems s better fit for Phycitodes maritima. The second is probably Aproaerema anthyllidella, but I think there are some confusion species for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve,
    I agree with Adam on both. If you've had neither in your garden before then it would be worth getting them checked by Peter. Phycitodes maritima has been a regular here at Westcott since the beginning of this decade so shouldn't be dismissed just because the books say it has a coastal distribution!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Adam and Dave. Phycitodes maritima would be a new record for the garden, while Aproaerema anthyllidella has been recorded once before. I'll hang on to both of them.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.