Tuesday 27 August 2019

NOT Upper Thames - apologies - but advice needed

As stated in the header, this is about a moth caught not in Oxfordshire or especially nearby, but in Dorset. I caught the Passenger whose photo is attached in a 'safari' trap while staying at a friend's house in Bournemouth overnight on Sunday. Although I've come across the species before, in Greece, I believe it's rare in the UK, and is almost certainly a migrant. I've reported it to the Dorset recorder (or at any rate have sent an email and attached photo to the relevant address and received an automated email in response), and will in due course send a full list of the species I caught in Bournemouth, but was wondering whether there's another authority one should report rarer species to.

Passenger Moth, Bournemouth, 25/8/19
Steve Goddard

6 comments:

  1. The main thing to do is to pass on details to the relevant county moth recorder, as you have done. I was going to say you could also let Steve Nash know, as he keeps track of migrant species in the UK, but I've just looked at his @MigrantMothUK twitter page and he's already seen this and shared it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just another thought Steve: quite a lot of Bournemouth is in vice-county 11, South Hampshire, so might be worth checking which county recorder needs to know! I use the 'cucaera' site for grid refs and vice-counties, see:

    https://www.cucaera.co.uk/grp/?refs=&map=streetmap&vcs=true&graticule=true&nsgrids=false&zoom=13&lat=50.72721961488167&lon=-1.8894767761230469&distinct=false&history=false&bedrock=false&superficial=false&sketches=

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I moth trapped in Dorset a couple of years ago they said there wasn't an offical county recorder and I'm not sure this has changed. But they did monitor the email address for the "CMR".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, both -- as it happens, I posted on the Hantsmoths Facebook group, and it turns out that Bournemouth *is*, for mothing purposes, in Hampshire, so I've been put in touch with the relevant county recorder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and well done on a very nice catch, by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.