Saturday 3 August 2019

A few from Thursday night

A few from Thursday night.
I really can't make up my mind with this one

I assume Minor agg. but it was much smaller than others I have caught.


Rather tatty. 7.5mm in length.


Next 2 same moth. 8.5mm in length



Finally what I assume is a Coleophora for dissection. 6.5mm in length. Quite distinctive antennae.


Just last night's catch to sort now which I know includes a Purple Hairstreak which I really was not expecting.

Andy Newbold, Sibford Ferris.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Andy,

    I think I'll pass on the first one as the picture is a little too dark. I suppose it might be something like an aberrant Common Carpet, assuming the size fits, but nothing else comes to mind! The next is Cloaked Minor which seems to be having a very good season. The first micro is a bit too worn to be sure of but might be something like Pammene aurita, while the second is Zeiraphera isertana. You are correct that the Coleophorid will need dissection.

    It might seem perverse but butterflies do occasionally come to light and Purple Hairstreak is one of the species most likely to do so if a trap is run close to where they are roosting. I've had two of them so far this year, both in Bernwood Forest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The carpet looks like a red twin-spot to me maybe? BW, Marc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.