Sunday 18 August 2019

New species for the garden and for me

Many others on this blog have been seeing these two quite regularly, but they're new arrivals for me.

This Tree-lichen Beauty was a first for my garden (Great Kimble) on 2 August, a moth I've only seen once or twice before (outside the Upper Thames area).




And last night's list of about 50 species from the trap included Gypsy Moth (male), a species I've never encountered before, alongside repeats of a few other recent garden arrivals such as Jersey Tiger and White-point.



2 comments:

  1. A nice pair of moths! I'm sure you'll be seeing more of both, Martin, but particularly Tree-lichen Beauty which has gone from one (2013) to 70+ (2019) over here at Westcott.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Gypsy Moth seems to be having a good year and to be spreading. I'm not at all sure that the females are unable to fly: I lost one I was trying to assemble with and left it in the porch and it disappeared.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.