Saturday 3 August 2019

More on the Old Ladies


I rowed up to see Jon's Old Ladies yesterday - and was also very interested by Martin T's explanation of their behaviour. Dave is after numbers and I reckon the smaller roost has 45 (approx) but the larger one was beyond my counting powers, especially when afloat. I took as many pics as I could, a bit better than my previous ones but not much cos the conditions are so gloomy, and am now trying to stitch them together to come up with a rough number for Dave. I'll email them to you too, D, as I am sure that your counting will be more methodical than mine. But there are at least 150 and I think probably more. Jon is right in surmising that they have chosen fissures in the stonework as the centre of each cluster. Thanks again for such an interesting experience, which has been widely shared with intrigues locals.  The single Old Lady below, btw, is one which came to my light trap a couple of years ago.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon



2 comments:

  1. Amazing photo, it looks like an optical illusion, it is so hard to see where one starts and finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, thanks for your efforts here, Martin - much appreciated. Not every moth enthusiast has a rowing boat to hand!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.