Sunday 8 May 2022

Daytime flyers

A week ago (30th April) I had another look at the disused railway cutting close to me in Westcott and amongst the things flying there were Pyrausta purpuralis (9 counted), Common Heath (4 males) and that rather uncommon sight, a female Muslin Moth.

Common Heath, Westcott 30th April

Muslin Moth female, Westcott 30th April

Two days ago (6th May) I carried out a butterfly transect on the eastern edge of Bernwood Forest and took the opportunity to revisit the Greater Stitchwort flowers in Shabbington Wood.  There, much as expected, I found a single example of Coleophora lutarea in typical pose, sunning itself on one of the flowers.  I had expected to see more but it might still be a little early for them yet.  Also around were several examples of Glyphipterix simpliciella, of which I had my first garden example today (time to check those daisies in the lawn!).   

Coleophora lutarea, Bernwood 6th May

Glyphipterix simpliciella, Bernwood 6th May

Disturbed in a meadow just a few tens of metres away from the house yesterday was my first sighting this year of Grapholita jungiella, while flying around in the garden was Aethes smeathmannia along with Pyrausta aurata and Green Carpet.  

Grapholita jungiella, Westcott 7th May

Aethes smeathmanniana, Westcott 7th May

Other daytime sightings in the garden over the past week have included Esperia sulphurella, Mompha epilobiella, Anthophila fabriciana and Common Carpet.  

Dave Wilton Westcott, Bucks 

1 comment:

  1. I looked at literally thousands of Stitchwort flowers last week, and not a single C. lutarea to be seen :(

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.