Wednesday 11 May 2022

Very nice addition to the Berkshire county moth list

Derek Barker has just added a brilliant moth record: Silver-streaked Tubic, Schiffermuelleria grandis, rare nationally, new to Berkshire and exquisitely beautiful! Larvae are associated with decaying wood and this was found among the ancient trees of Windsor Forest on 6 May.

 
Will Langdon has found this moth (in Somerset) flying in the early morning sun at this time of year, so worth looking out for around ancient woodland/trees - see Will's post on Twitter.

Here are Derek's notes about how he found the moth at Windsor:
It was caught at about 10am, I had been out with the sweep net, knocking branches and trying to catch what I dislodged, something I am not that good at! I was walking back to my car along a track that had deciduous woodland either side, primarily ancient oaks, mature lime and beech trees. The moth was caught on literally my last sweep under an oak.
 

 
Photos by Derek Barker.

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.