Thursday 5 May 2022

Some micro questions

 The first 2 were from my garden trap on 3rd May.

The first is 12.5mm in length and I think is Depressaria radiella which would be a new garden record.

The second is 8mm in length and I don't have any idea where to start.

The third moth (2 images) was from last night at the Hook Norton Railway Cutting. I think it might be Dichrorampha acuminatana but I am not sure whether the markings are clear enough for a positive identification without dissection? 8mm.





Andy Newbold, Sibford Ferris, Oxon.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andy,
    I'd go along with Depressaria radiella for the first based on its size because the other look-alikes are smaller. It is also the most common of that little group. The next is a gelechiid and looks to me like a Scrobipalpa species. Most likely is acuminatella which is often featureless like this one is, but dissection is the way forward! The final one I'd agree has to be the very common Dichrorampha acuminatana, whose first brood has been out for a week or two. Second brood specimens later in the year need dissection because by then there can be confusion with other species.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great thank you. Surprisingly I have had ultimella but not radiella before. I will put the likely Scrobipalpa in the batch I am about to send to Peter.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.