Thursday 5 August 2021

Blurry question


This is probably a forlorn hope and many apologies for the awful pictures  - as well as the moth choosing to rest on the black bowl, I was being heavily distracted by grandchildren. But this seemed an unfamiliar visitor. It flew off pretty promptly but my initial impression was of something large carpet-sized.  Then I realised I was looking at it upside down, giving a misleadingly angular appearance, so it may have been a beauty of some kind.  It looks to have a pale blotch at the bottom of each wing and a distinct black rim and you can see from the pic below that it has TV aerial antennae, so presumably male. If you can make anything of it, I'd be very grateful.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon


2 comments:

  1. Hi Martin, have a look at Waved Black.

    Regards,
    Nigel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Nigel. I did look at WB in Waring, Townsend and Leavington and then followed their trail of similar looking species. But checking on UK Moths, I am certain that you are right. It’s a new one for me, so thanks again v much. All vb Martin

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.