Sunday 15 August 2021

Three more micros for ID if possible

 

All the following were caught in a light trap in the last couple of weeks or so.

This I have tentatively ID'd as Micropterix calthella. Strikingly metallic and tiny with FL 3.5-4.0 mm, and on the limit of what my camera can manage! Tentative because flight period is apparently to early July and this was caught either 27/07 or 04/08, (and I'm not sure it comes to light).


This I believe is Grapholita modesta, or perhaps funebrana.


Another very tiny micro, FL ~3 mm, which I feel is perhaps a Nepticulid? However the Field Guide only illustrates two of the 100 species so I'm not sure, and the British Leafminers site is hard to search for images of adults rather than mines.

Suggestions welcome as I've ben researching these for a while now and run out of ideas!

Phil T


2 comments:

  1. Hi Phil,

    I can't make out what the first one might be and wonder actually if it could be a micro-caddis. The next one I agree is probably a Grapholita species but I doubt that it would be molesta (which is what I assume you mean) and would really need dissection to ID. The final moth looks to me like an Elachista and I imagine will be a male canapennella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks as always Dave,

    I don't think I can cope with micro cadisses as well as micro moths so I'll let that one go, but I'll send the Grapholita off for dissection.
    Phil

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.