Wednesday 4 August 2021

Clearwing surprise

Having tried several times for Yellow-legged Clearwing in oak woods locally, but with no success, I decided to try the lure in the garden again today. There are a couple of young oaks in the garden, but it was more in hope than expectation that I put the VES lure out at around 12:30. Nothing happened until 15:30 when I spotted something flying around the lure which conveniently popped into the trap and proved to be a male Yellow-legged Clearwing.
Unfortunately I only managed a poor photo of the underside of it in the trap, as it made a quick escape while I was attempting a better shot! 
This is my fifth Clearwing species in the garden this year, the others being Lunar Hornet, Red-tipped, Red-belted and Orange-tailed. 

Phil T

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.