Tuesday 24 August 2021

Last night in my back garden..

 This is in Chorleywood, VC 24. 

It soon got quite cold and most of the moths were well before midnight. 23 species and not many of anything.

There were, however, a couple of moth varieties: My only Jersey Tiger had yellow hindwings, which makes it Form lutescens:



And there were several of these at the lights: 
 

I believe it to be the dark form of Cydia splendana, although there is still a niggling doubt that it may be Cydia pomonella. Both were in attendance last night. The dark form of  splendana I think is called reaumurana. Maybe somebody on here knows.  
Worn and not photographed was a Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing that looked like a halfway-house with Langmaid's Yellow Underwing. 
Fairly bog-standard, however, was this lone Flounced Rustic:






1 comment:

  1. Hi Andy,
    I agree with you about splendana. I don't know how common or otherwise the dark form of it is supposed to be but I seem to have seen a lot of them this season.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.