Thursday 12 July 2018

Lure still works!

Having tried all of my clearwing pheromone lures in the garden several times over in perfect conditions during the past month without any sign of success at all, even though I've had Yellow-legged, Currant, Red-belted and Orange-tailed here in previous years and I know Hornet Moth is around in some numbers locally, it has been a bit galling to see the successes others have had this year!  My lures are a few years old but they've been kept in air-tight containers in the freezer when out of use so should still function, but I was beginning to wonder... 

Today I remembered to take the API lure with me when I went to nearby Woodham to release last night's garden moth catch.  A quick trek through the undergrowth to reach what is left of a disused railway line proved successful and I had five Six-belted Clearwings to the lure immediately it was taken out of the container.  At least that one still works!

Six-belted Clearwing, Woodham 12th July

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.