Thursday 12 July 2018

Two brown gelechids

I had a couple of small light brown gelechids in the garden trap last night.  I did not immediately recognise them so potted them for later checking.  I had initally thought they were the same species.

On checking the first proved to be Orange Crest Helcystogramma rufescens a species I've had in the garden a few times.

The second proved to be a lot more interesting and I beleive it to be Marjoram Crest Acompsia schmidtiellus, a species I've only seen once before.  It is described as very local and was Nb, I think think there are only a dozen or so Bucks records.

Apologies for the poor quality photo, but hopfully it shows enough of the key features.


Neil Fletcher
Walter's Ash

1 comment:

  1. Hi Neil, there are more than 20 records of Acompsia schmidtiellus in Bucks now and I've had it from seven different chalk grassland sites in the Chilterns. A smart little moth that is becoming more common and you seem to be the fourth Bucks garden it has turned up in over the past few years (including Adam's Marlow Bottom record from earlier this month).

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.