Wednesday 11 July 2018

Lunar-spotted Pinion and Suspected

More interesting moths over the last few nights - as Dave Wilton mentioned, the drop in temperature over the last two nights doesn't seem to have done any harm, with captures still above 100 individuals of 40+ species (I have only once exceeded 50 species in my urban back garden).

Have been enjoying plenty of new macros this year - 18 additional species so far - though still plenty of gaps to fill. A couple of nice additions over last two nights were a Lunar-spotted Pinion on the night of 9 July, and, a rather worn individual that seems to be a good match for Suspected, on 10 July.





2 comments:

  1. Hi Ben, yes that is Suspected - another nice garden moth for you. Urban areas may not always get the range and numbers of moths that can turn up in less built-up environments but they do have their own set of species and all sorts of surprises can still occur. Suspected hasn't yet appeared in my village garden (in Bucks it is rare away from heathland) and I've not yet seen species like Toadflax Brocade which seems to prefer towns and cities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks; I have had Toadflax Brocade each of the last two years and now expect 1-2 Small Ranunculus each year which are a very attractive species that I think are also doing well in urban environments. I did set a numbers record a few nights ago with over 400 moths in my actinic, but 300 of those were Water Veneer, which I've had >700 in the past week!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.