Saturday 14 July 2018

Marlow Bottom 13th July

Just read Dave's last post and snap! Having never had Lunar-spotted Pinion in the garden, just loads of Dun-bar, I was pleased to get what I thought was my first.  However, on a closer look, it is actually Lesser-spotted Pinion.


I had a couple of repeats of recent garden firsts: Acompsia schmidtiellus - my third now in a week and Oncocera semirubella.


Another Cydalima perspectalis is a sign of the times.  Otherwise the catch was not as large as last weekend (I can't trap every day), with not many micros.  I did get this specimen, which looks to me like Acompsia cinerella, but would appreciate confirmation.


Adam Bassett

2 comments:

  1. Lesser-spotted Pinion is always a nice sighting. The south of Bucks, where there is plenty of Wych Elm, does seem to have more records than the north although most of them are from a couple of gardens that seem to get the moth regularly. I rarely encounter it even in the south, although I do remember trapping one in Homefield Wood near you a few years back and there is plenty of Wych Elm there. Up here in the north it would have to use English Elm so maybe it is now recovering from the loss of its main food-plant to Dutch Elm Disease.

    I agree with you on Acompsia cinerella, quite distinctive for such a plain-looking moth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Yes, the Acompsia didn’t take long to look up, as you say, quite distinctive.

      Are people like me able to look up the status/distribution etc of moths in Bucks now, or is this still inaccessible? It would be very useful and interesting information to be able to see.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.