Thursday 12 July 2018

Garden Tiger, Buff Footman? and dissection results

I realised today it's probably been 50 years since I'd seen a Garden Tiger. I'd appreciate a confirmation on what I think is another form of Buff Footman (rather than Dingy Footman f stramineola which seems quite common here).

Today I got back the results from the dissections I sent to Peter. He's confirmed Delplanqueia inscriptella and Grapholita lobarzewskii amongst others. Thanks Peter.

Mark Griffiths, Garsington, Oxford




2 comments:

  1. Excellent news that you got those two specific micros checked, Mark. Both are becoming increasingly common but they're not at all easy to determine on sight.

    There are still places where Garden Tiger is numerous but Otmoor is the only place which comes to mind in our region. However, it may have recovered a little over the last decade. My garden experience is of a most unexpected singleton in 2008 which was followed by five in 2016 and two more in 2017. So far this year I've had another five.

    Yes to Buff Footman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Dave. I'd heard another location for the Garden Tiger is a little further from you, the Devil's Punch Bowl near Wantage. I saw a number of Wood Tigers there a few years back.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.