Thursday 19 July 2018

A few highlights

As mentioned in my last post, I've not been able to keep as much on top of my garden records in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, in recent weeks as I'd have liked; however, I hope to make some moves towards catching up, with a few outstanding ID queries, in the coming days. Before that, here are a few of the moths I've had over the last few weeks which I've been pleased with, either because they're new to the garden, or because they're just plain spectacular:

Dusky Sallow, 8/7/18 - new to the garden (and to me!)

Eyed Hawkmoth, 21/5/18

Green Arches, 19/6/18 - always a species I like to see, by no means annual

Lesser-spotted Pinion, 11/7/18 - new to the garden

Lime-speck Pug, 9/7/18 - always good to see
Although I don't have a photo of it, I had what I'm almost certain was a Flounced Rustic on 5th July: I expect to get large numbers of them in a little while, but this seems a very early record - is it unlikely to be correct?

Steve Goddard

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, re your possible Flounced Rustic, I did have a very early example once on 4th July (2011) but they usually start appearing in the final week of the month so could be around anytime now. We'll never know what your example was without a picture, of course, but Common Rustic is perhaps more likely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dave -- that sounds highly plausible (though I'd normally be confident of ID-ing a Common/Lesser Common, but they are rather variable). I don't remember how it was that I didn't get a photo -- presumably the darn thing just flew away too quickly...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.