Sunday 8 July 2018

More help with ID!

I put the trap out last night and was pleased to get 127 moths of 42 species. New for me were Black Arches, Scalloped Oak, Smokey Wainscot, Vapourer, Yellow Tail, Broad Bordered Yellow Underwing, September Thorn and Beautiful Golden Y.

There are a couple that I need help with. The first I think is Waved Black but the second I have no idea! Sorry the photos are not great...I was in a rush!
Waved Black?

???

 I was also delighted to be joined by a Purple Hairstreak this morning whilst I finished sorting through the trap. It came down to damp lawn at about 7.30am and spent a long time drinking the dew on the grass. So lovely to see one up close!
Many thanks in advance
Lorna Woolhouse, Checkendon, South Oxon

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lorna, you're correct on the Waved Black, the other one is a Clay.

    Lucky you with the Purple Hairstreak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you trap under or near an oak at this time of year you could easily get a Purple Hairstreak actually in the trap - it is one of the butterflies most likely to appear in moth traps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nigel and Dave. Not sure how I missed Clay and I shall keep an eye out to see if any Purple Hairstreaks turn up in the trap!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.