Thursday 2 August 2018

Catching up with queries

Hello from Thrupp where things are ticking over nicely - plenty of that lovely moth the Black Arches and my share of the Jersey Tiger tourism which has also reached my grandchildren's small garden in Walthamstow. They seem to have got fed up with Jersey.



May I just check a small backlog of moths, although the first (above) came only last night. I think that it is a Tawny-barred Angle (a very good, precise description). If so, it is my first which is perhaps surprising as it is classed as Common and often abundant. Perhaps I have overlooked it or it has been one of the small, fragile ones which always flutter out when I lift out the MV trap's bulb.

Here are the others with my guesses and apologies for the not-very-good photos. Thanks so much for any help, sorry to be dim and absolutely no rush.

Maiden's Blush
A rather dark Marbled Beauty (going on size)?
Clouded Brindle
White-spotted Pug, with its black spots
Small Fan-footed Wave
Juniper Pug
Beautiful Plume

3 comments:

  1. Hello, Martin. Yes to Tawny-barred Angle and Maiden's Blush. Next should be a Knot Grass; the two little white dots in the middle are a bit of a give-away, but it's interesting you've noted its small size - Dave has said elsewhere there are lots of undersized specimens around, presumably because of the drought. next may or not be a White-spotted Pug and the other I'll let somebody else do. The Wave may be a Dwarf Cream Wave, but tbh, it's not a very clear photo.
    Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Clouded Brindle is a Straw Underwing and yes to the plume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much both - much appreciated and apols for my long-term ID failings. It is interesting about the smaller moths this. No doubt papers will be written once all the data is in. Thanks v much again M

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.