Tuesday 28 August 2018

Marlow Bottom 27 August

For one reason and another, this was my first garden trap for a month. Fairly standard fare, including the five hornets and two wasps. Just 35 species, of which Agriphila geniculea was the most numerous, 25, followed by 15 Large Yellow Underwings and 11 Light Emeralds. Mocha is still about, with a single specimen, but best of the catch was my second garden record of Balsam Carpet, the previous being in July 2006 and second Cypress Pug following a record last year.  I think the nearest Balsam plants to here are towards the Thames, which is about three miles away.




 
There were a couple of micros that I wasn't sure of. The first I'm being a bit lazy with, but would welcome any comments on its ID; the second is quite worn and is probably a dark Prays fraxinella, but can P. ruficeps be ruled out on a worn specimen? Both c7mm long.
 
 


 
 
Adam Bassett


5 comments:

  1. What about Zeiraphera isertana for the first one and your second does appear to have an orange head (I think) so is a candidate for ruficeps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me the first looks more like a Cydia and if you stand back and squint a bit it could be a worn splendana, but I wouldn't like to say for sure! I agree that the worn Prays could be a candidate for ruficeps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both. I’m not sure about the tortrix, so will keep for Peter along with the Prays sp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, having looked at the tortrix again, I think it's Cydia fagiglandana. I get lots of these, but it seemed too small, so maybe just a small summer specimen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I think you may be correct, but I'm hapy to confirm it in your next posting.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.