Thursday 9 August 2018

Thriving species



Like Dave, I am having a terrific number of Gold Spots this year, along with lots of Blood-veins, Thorns of the various sorts, Mother-of-Pearl micros (easily the most numerous) and Poplar Hawks. The latter made their debut on the night of 6/7 May this year and are still going strong - seven in the trap last night. Whether they are attracted by the careful little nests my granddaughter makes for them before release, is an open question.

Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon

2 comments:

  1. I think the Poplar Hawks are into their second generation now. I wish a few of the more colourful hawk-moths would have an annual second brood (maybe this is one of the years it might happen for Elephant and Small Elephant) because they're always good for getting the younger generation enthused and we generally only have the Poplar during the school summer holidays! Still, there'll soon be the possibility of exotic migrant species (Convolvulus has already started appearing, I see).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping! Actually, a friend in Headington has a clutch of Eyed Hawk pupae reared from eggs laid in June so it will be interesting to see when they hatch. Our granddaughter spices up the Poplar by miscalling it the Emperor Hawk Moth, I think because we bred the Emperors together earlier this year. I worry sometimes about treating the moths as pets but the reward in youthful interest outweighs such fears, I think/hope. All v best, M

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.