Tuesday 5 June 2018

A couple of 'day' micros from Bradenham

I was visiting the NT grassland site at Bradenham off Smalldean Lane this afternoon, not specifically looking for moths.  However, I came across the following two micros.  I didn't have a pot and also the wrong camera for macro shots, so the following cropped shots are the best I could manage.  The first is a Dichrorampha sp, that I think looks good for simpliciana, but do these all need to be dissected for a reliable ID.  The second is an Aethes sp, that looks to have the patterning and white markings of hartmanniana.  Again, the photos aren't great, but comments welcomed.

Dichrorampha simpliciana?
Aethes hartmanniana?
Blurred shot of same moth but shows brown markings better as not obscured by blade of grass
 
Adam Bassett

6 comments:

  1. The first one would be a month early for D. simpliciana. D. plumbana would be better for Early June, but I'm not convinced.
    The other one I think is more like A. cnicana or rubigana. Timing and the white-ish thorax would favour the former, but again I'm not certain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may well be right with A. cnicana. The photo I posted showing what looks like lots of white markings across the wings might just be photo artefact, as it doesn't seem to be in the blurred photo. The danger of mothing without a pot (and glasses!)

      Delete
    2. Agreed that D. simpliciana is not likely based on flight dates. I guess that D. plumbana or aeratana are most likely based on the photo, but will have to remember to carry a pot next time.

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately no pot Peter. I didn't even have my glasses on me so am just using these rather poor photos after the event, so probably a lost cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always carry some pots in your pocket at this time of year! Most likely is cnicana. Rubigana has a thicker central dark band which is distincty flared at the dorsum. Yours is thin and not flared.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.