Monday 25 June 2018

Guesses in need of some feedback

I've looked on the Hants Moths website rather than the Suffolk one for a change and found it easier to use. The 3 moths that I was trying to ID this time were the following:

1. Is this a Heart and Dart?

2. Is this a Willow Beauty?

3. Is this a Treble Brown Spot?

I'm still quite new to moth spotting, and I can't believe how many new ones I see around the garden each week! I hardly ever see the same type twice, which is one of the reasons that I'm really keen to spot more. 

3 comments:

  1. First one is Large Yellow Underwing - looking at the hindwings would have helped a great deal.
    Second probably is Willow Beauty
    Third is Treble Brown Spot.
    There are plenty of new things to spot at this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacqui,

    I like the Hants site and also find the Norfolk site very good. They have pages with the latest photos of macros and micros which is helpful for current sightings and also, on the same site you can see several photos all macros and micros found in Norfolk over many years. This is particularly useful if there is significant variation within a species. They also list similar species with some guidance as to how to tell them apart.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.