Friday 29 June 2018

Double Lobed and Dotted Ermel

I've been runing my moth trap in Walter's Ash, Bucks for almost 19 years and it never ceases to amaze me that I'm still getting new species. 

Last night I had this beautiful Double Lobed Lateroligia ophiogramma, which I have seen a couple of times before, but was new for the garden. 


I also had Dotted Ermel Ethmia dodecea  which similarly, I've only seen a couple of times before, this was the second record for the garden. 

Please note that my use of vernacular names for micro-moths is done to promote their use and make micro-moths more accessible to a wider recording community (and to annoy some of my friends who are stalwarts of this excellent blog who won't use vernacular names for micros ;-)

Neil Fletcher
Walter's Ash, Bucks (VC24)

2 comments:

  1. As a county recorder I'm getting more micro records with just vernacular names and often have to ask what species it is. There is no official list of vernacular names of micros (macros have vernacular names in the British Checklist plus a few micros) and different publications may use different names.
    Heslop's checkliist in 1964 did give all the micros names, but these were not widely used and then others have since then made up their own names. So for me, vernacular names can be difficult. I am quite happy to accept well established vernacular names such as Green Oak Tortrix, Bee Moth,etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy for you to use vernacular names Neil, but if I don't understand what the moth is, you simply won't get an answer from me. I find them very annoying to be honest.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.