Sunday 24 June 2018

Micros for ID

My first ever sighting of an Eyed Hawkmoth in my garden earlier in the week (among several Elephants). Several interesting micros (including Ancylis achatana, as previous post), of which the following two I am not certain about:



Cydia fagiglandana? not too different from some forms of C. splendana I have had in the past but does not have distinct dark outer part of wings.


Grapholita janthinana? Has rather indistinct brown markings but a pale orange-red head - otherwise from the guide books looks not very different from the rarer G. lobarzewskii.
Could be wrong about both, of course, so any help gratefully received.

John Thacker
Harwell, Oxon

2 comments:

  1. Hi John, I wouldn't dismiss lobarzewskii just because the books say it is rare - my impression is that it is now more widespread than appears from the literature. I would suggest keeping a specimen to be dissected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave. I don't normally keep any moths but as it happens this one died on me so I do still have it. Is it still useful to someone for dissection - and if so who would be prepared to dissect it? I assume that the other moth was C. fagiglandana?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.