Sunday 24 June 2018

Festoon and Help with ID

Wow what a great week for moth trapping! I was delighted to catch 6 species of Hawkmoth this week including Small Elephant and Pine Hawkmoth, only Eyed Hawkmoth still eludes me!

On the night of the 19th I caught what I'm pretty sure is a Festoon. It says in Waring and Townsend that it is found very locally in Oxfordshire. Has anyone else caught one recently?

Festoon
 Sorry the photo isn't great. It would only stay still on my hand!

The others I need a bit of help to confirm the ID.
Great Oak Beauty?

Dot Moth?

Clouded-bordered Brindle?
 
Light Arches?
 
Foxglove Pug?

Many thanks in advance

Lorna Woolhouse
Checkendon, South Oxon

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lorna, you're correct with Dot moth and the next one is Reddish Light Arches. You're probably right with Foxglove pug but it's a bit too worn for me to be certain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to get Festoon, that's certainly correct! After that I'm fairly sure you have Great Oak Beauty, Dot Moth and as Nigel says Reddish Light Arches. The next is very worn and I think might actually be Dark Arches, then you have a probable Foxglove Pug (again a bit worn to be sure from that picture).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dave, I shall ask the next lot of unidentifiable moths to be in better condition!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.