Sunday 3 June 2018

Scouting for moths

England, doing the decent thing and winning the cricket nice and early allowed me to have an hour or so meandering around the fields behind Chalfont Scout Camp again. No Foresters yet but much to my delight Burnet Companions were around in good numbers ( a new one for me), and a supporting cast of Mother Shipton, Cinnibar, Timothy Tortrix and various grass moths made it rather enjoyable. A couple of the small Oak trees seemed to attract swarms of the tiny Micropterix calthella.
 

I  also had a small distinctive Tortrix which I believe is Dichrorampha sequana:


Hopefully the plans to build on this site will be rejected as it is rich in inverts - I had 5 species of Shield/squash bug, more damselflies than you can shake a stick at and there must have been a hatching of the spectacular Long-horned Beetle Agapanthia villosoviridescens as most stands of Hogweed had at least one.

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.