Sunday 30 June 2019

Moth buses

The trap was very busy last night, though mostly geometers and micros and a lack of variety in the noctuids. 92 species recorded so far. Probably the most surprising was another Diplodoma laichartingella. It is just as feisty as yesterday's moth, so I have yet to take a photo, but looks pretty much the same as the specimen I have kept for Martin. It was at the bottom of the trap, though I read somewhere yesterday that they aren't attracted to light.

Two new moths for my garden list were Cochylis molliculana and Neosphaleroptera nubilana.



Whilst seconds for the garden were Ethmia dodecea and Dichomeris marginella.



It was also pleasing to get four Scarlet Tigers, only the second year I have had them here.

Finally, does anyone want to comment on this pug?

Adam Bassett
Marlow Bottom

5 comments:

  1. Hi Adam, looks like Shaded Pug to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nigel, yes that seems likely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't doubt the ID, Adam, but that has to be the brightest-marked nubilana I've ever seen. Mine have always been featureless individuals! Scarlet Tiger has been appearing here on and off since 2009 and annually since 2016, always as singletons until last night when five turned up. They certainly brightened up the trap...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It had me stumped for a while, as I've never seen one before. A lot of google images are plain but there are also similarly boldly patterned examples.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pug looks like Sloe Pug to me - can just about make out orange on abdomen and markings are good fit.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.