Tuesday 4 June 2019

Nemophora degeerella, Shoulder-striped Wainscot and a question

There was a flock of about a dozen moths with long antennae flying around in my garden yesterday, and several more had settled on nearby plants, allowing me to take the first photo below. Looks like Nemophora degeerella. The second photo shows a Shoulder-striped Wainscot that came to the trap in my garden on 1 June (along with several Common Wainscots over the last few days). The third photo shows a moth which I cannot identify. Could it be a pale example of Rustic Shoulder-knot?




John Clough, Marlow

2 comments:

  1. Yes, if you discover a group of Nemophora degeerella flying, it is quite beautiful to watch. Your third moth can be either Large Nutmeg or a pale Rustic Shoulder-knot, as you suggest. The term shoulder-knot comes from the black line emanating from the base of the forewing(part of the wing nerest the body)and I can just make out this black line, so I reckon you do have a Rustic Shoulder-knot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your useful comments Peter. Yes, the group of flying N. degeerella was delightful. I could see their long antennae wobbling as they flew.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.