Tuesday 7 June 2022

Argyresthia cupressella

I'm assuming this is Argyresthia cupressella. As there have been no Buck records of this adventive North American species in iRecord, I thought I would give it a mention. Only about 4mm long, and easily overlooked, I am quite pleased with the way the photo turned out. It would be nice to know its current status in Bucks/Oxon. There are quite a few iRecord records in Berks, but that may be an artefact of the recording rather than the true distribution.


The micro, below, also caused me some confusion at first, but then I realised it is probably just one of the many guises of E. postvitana.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Keith,
    We've had confirmed records of cupressella in Bucks since at least 2016 and it is known from around half a dozen sites from the far south up as far as the middle of the county. I think your record would be the first known sighting for the area around Milton Keynes so it must be quite widespread across the entire county by now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was slow to recognise it amongst the 'mess' at the bottom of the MV but three in Denham 5-6 June; the dead one will be dissected before putting any on iRecord. The white head is obvious once seen! Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Confirmed. Slide 0198. Peter has seen photo and agrees. Will go on iRecord soon.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.