Friday 10 June 2022

Leafmine?

I think this may be a mine of Phyllonorycter quercifoliella, although it seems a bit early, so maybe something else entirely. However, if it is, I wonder whether anyone could advise on how best to rear it through? If I understand correctly this is a bivoltine species, with some mines over-wintering, and some having a shorter summer cycle, so this should produce an adult in August/September.
Should I just remove the leaf and stalk and keep it hydrated or...?
Thanks
Phil T

Also today Pammene aurana found in my VES lure trap, (but the intended target species didn't show!)



 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Phil,
    Most Phyllonorycter species pupate inside the mine so you are safe leaving this for a little longer if you feel the need, but the mine does look fully formed so it must be close to pupation anyway. Mines on oak are a nightmare to identify so rearing it through is the safest way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks I'll do that and see what emerges!
    Phil

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.