Tuesday 7 June 2022

Late Waved Umber, Orange Tipped Clearwing and Green Oak Tortrix "invasion"

 I was surprised to catch this Waved Umber last night - I usually see these much earlier - this must be at the tail end of the main generation.


First clearwing of the year, Orange tipped, to VES lure this afternoon.


There have been a number of reports of a large influx of Green Oak Tortrix to Norfolk and on the south coast. I don't think anyone knew it did that. I get one every few years, I had 2 this morning. I think there may have been a couple of others that flew off. Maybe these were part of a local dispersal or maybe they are from this influx that arrived a few days ago.


Mark Griffiths, Garsington, Oxford.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mark,
    I also had my first luck in the garden this year with any of the clearwing lures, FOR bringing in Red-tipped Clearwing x 2. Regarding Tortrix viridana, this species is usually around in large numbers in woodland locally every year for two or three weeks around now and sometimes these numbers can be huge (my own record is an estimated 1,500 to a single trap in Bernwood Forest in June 2018). Impossible to tell, of course, if this year we're getting migrants too but it could well be the case as there have been so many recorded around the coast and I haven't seen big numbers in our woods yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I should have added re the comment "I don't think anyone knew it did that", have a look at the text in the micro field guide!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.