Wednesday 29 June 2022

Concolorous again

At the beginning of June I discovered the Red Data Book species Concolorous to be resident in two woods in the far north of Bucks.  With its flight period more than halfway through now, I thought I'd try the first of those woods again last night and, sure enough, another four came to light.  It was actually a very busy night for the two traps with in excess of 150 species recorded.  In addition to the target I had my first Mere Wainscot of the year, while other very nice moths included Adaina microdactyla (2), Anania lancealis (9), Beautiful Carpet (1), Scallop Shell (2), Maple Prominent (1), Blackneck (1), Pinion-streaked Snout (1) & Dotted Fan-foot (8).  Although supposedly common, Beautiful Carpet seems to me to be in decline in our area.  This was the first one I've seen for five years and I do a lot of trapping in its woodland habitat.  For example, it used to be a regular sight in Bernwood Forest but I haven't recorded one there since 2014.

Concolorous, Yardley Chase 28th June

Mere Wainscot, Yardley Chase 28th June

Beautiful Carpet, Yardley Chase 28th June

Scallop Shell, Yardley Chase 28th June

Dave Wilton Westcott, Bucks  

1 comment:

  1. Wow, 150 species. I'd be there for a fortnight sorting through that lot!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.