Sunday 2 June 2019

Another clearwing post

Apologies for another clearwing post, but following on from luring a Red-belted Clearwing yesterday, I thought I would try some other lures in the garden this afternoon. The VES lure was put out at 2:30pm and attracted 2 Yellow-legged Clearwings within 5 minutes. This is a clearwing I have seen in the garden previously, although I missed it last year because I probably put the lure out a little too late in the season.
Around 3pm, I put out the TIP lure for the Currant Clearwing (there are currant bushes in the garden). Within 5 minutes, a clearwing appeared in the trap. However, on inspection it was not a Currant Clearwing but the individual below.


This looks like a Red-tipped Clearwing to me. Both Dave Wilton and Derek Brown posted images of this moth about a week ago. I see in Jon Clifton's clearwing notes that Red-tipped can be lured by various lures, including TIP, although FOR is considered the best.
It is really good being able to see and record these elusive moths!

Steve Trigg, Cookham

2 comments:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.