Thursday 15 June 2023

125W MV Lamp suppliers

Hi All,

Is there a generally accepted best supplier for Mercury Vapour Lamps? I have in the past year gone to a bargain website, but the lamps I have bought (Thorgeon Lighting) either look oddly shaped, don't work from new, pack up after a short while, or appear not to be as effective at attracting moths as others I have used in the past. I suppose I am looking for well manufactured, reasonably priced, reliable, and most importantly, actually does the job.

Thanks in advance for your advice (and sorry if this has been asked before).

Best regards,


Keith

2 comments:

  1. Hi Keith,
    I imagine you are aware that the manufacture of these bulbs was banned by the EU about three or four years ago due to their mercury content (and I understand the same will happen to 30w actinic tubes in the next year or two). While their use for special applications like moth-trapping has not been banned, this does mean that the bulbs themselves are considerably more difficult to source. I haven't bought any MV bulbs for about five years but it does seem that they are still available through on-line suppliers such as Casell-Lighting, Easy Light Bulbs, BLT Direct, Lamps-on-line.com etc although the prices vary considerably! There's also little indication on those websites who the manufacturer might be - some will no doubt be from China nowadays where quality control may be rather less than desired. I see that Lamps-on-line.com actually illustrate a Venture bulb on their website which I think is/was made in the UK (I actually had a higher failure rate with Venture bulbs than I did for Osram, Luxram or any of the other better known makes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply, Dave. I guessed it was wasn't as easy as 'one size fits all'!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.