Thursday 22 June 2023

Crescent Plume

 

Crescent Plume, Stowe


This appeared in the trap a couple of nights ago. The Field Guide considers it common in the south of England, but iRecord has just flagged it up as "outside the known range", and I now see that habitat is described as downland, sand dunes, sea cliffs coastal shingle and quarries.

I was at some downland in Hampshire in the morning, so it is just possible that I unwittingly transported it back home from there, though it seems a bit unlikely. It was quite windy there, and there was very little lepidopteran activity of any kind! Plus it would have to have been in (or on?) the car for several hours, and despite several stops on the return journey, it chose to wait until I got home to leave. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Phil,
    I think Marasmarcha lunaedactyla could be found anywhere in Bucks where the food-plant (Rest Harrow) grows. Most of the 120 or so records for the county do come from the Chilterns but I've had it a few times in my own garden on the clay and there are a handful of sightings from north of Milton Keynes. Good to have a record now from your area!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave,
    Very helpful, as always!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.