Sunday 25 June 2023

Clearwings again

Further to my previous post, my tipuliformis at HYL lure reminded me to remind everyone else of the importance of specifying the lure used for pheromone trap records. I know most of you do that, but I have seen records without this information. 

This year I am leaving my HYL lure out (in shade) for the rest of the summer and my TAB lure is similarly placed somewhere else. Apart from improving our knowledge of distribution I'm hoping this will gather more information on flight period, i.e. rather than putting it out just because someone happens to have caught that particular species. If you can find a safe shady place  where it can be checked daily I feel this well worthwhile. I have attached a roof to mine as further protection against cooking the moths, i.e. a piece of thin ply about 240x240 mm with the string threaded through it in four places around the edge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.