Thursday 15 June 2023

Back to the drawing board?

 Last year I had a problem with birds entering my Robinson trap and eating the moths, so I devised a simple barrier in the form of a collar cut from a carboard postal tube and inserted in the gap. This appeared to work well at keeping the birds out, at the same time allowing the largest moths to enter (e.g. Privet Hawk-moth.
However this morning I was surprised to discover a rather frantic Robin inside the trap, so maybe some modification is required! Mind you, I think the Robin had a bit of a fright, so it may be discouraged from trying again.




4 comments:

  1. Hungry slim Robin + moths = fatter Robin that can't get out? Or just to be expected with a "Robin's home" trap?

    Unfortunately, the only solution I have found for my Skinner traps is to get up and cover them with a sheet before the birds are active (my alarm has to be set to 0355 at present). I move them to somewhere cool and shaded so that I can inspect the contents after I have got up again at a more civilised hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Robin's home" trap! Hadn't thought of that!

      Delete
  2. Hi Phil,
    I'd agree with Tim, getting up early may be the only answer! I'm also up (briefly) at around 4am at the moment to close up the traps. Even then there is always activity from Robins and Blackbirds but they seem rather more interested in singing than eating at that hour. I like your collar idea, though, and that must go some way towards stopping birds entering the trap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dave,
    I think the collar has been pretty effective until this recent incident, so I'll see how it goes before setting my alarm for 4 am! I still have some tube left, so I could make you one if that was of interest. Might enable you to have a lie-in!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.