Thursday 29 June 2023

Schoenobius gigantella or Donacaula forficella?

 I think this may be a female Schoenobius gigantella, based on overall colour, single black dash at 2/3, no black apical lines, all of which seem to fit this species better than Donacaula forficella, despite the fact that it seems rather small at 16 mm FL. However, termen shape seems more like D. forficella, which is perhaps the more likely species to be found here, and size is a bit worrying, so in the end I'm unsure. I have retained the moth in case dissection is needed. Thanks, Phil.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Phil,
    I often struggle with this little group so I'd suggest that getting it checked is a very wise option. Donacaula forficella would seem to be the likeliest here but size isn't always the best indicator.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.