Sunday 14 August 2022

A nice migrant!

Following on from Tom Stevenson's brilliant discovery at Benson, Oxon the other day which was a first for VC23 (see here), I was amazed to find a Rest Harrow Aplasta ononaria sitting next to the garden MV at 4am this morning!  As a UK resident this Red Data Book species is confined to a couple of colonies in Kent so this may well have been a visitor from Europe and needless to say it was a first for VC24.  It also shows the wisdom of getting up before the birds because, sitting in the grass, this would for sure have been part of a Robin's breakfast and I would have been none the wiser of its visit.  Other migrants here from amongst 95 species were Plutella xylostella Diamond-back Moth (1), Nomophila noctuella Rush Veneer (3) & Dark Sword-grass Agrotis ipsilon (3).

Rest Harrow, Westcott 13th August

Dave Wilton Westcott, Bucks


3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter. That's probably exhausted my luck for 2022 - pity I seem to have missed out on the Striped Hawk-moth invasion but it gives me something to look forward to another year!

      Delete
  2. Still a chance yet (that's what I keep telling myself anyway).

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.