Thursday 18 August 2022

Tricky macro

I'm finding this individual, from a couple of nights ago in my garden in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, rather hard to pin down. It's about 18mm long, and I've considered common species such as Common Rustic agg., Cabbage, etc.; and Nutmeg, which was the ID of a mystery moth a few posts ago. None of them seem quite right, though I'd perfectly happily believe it could be one of the above. All suggestions gratefully received.

Unknown micro, 15/8/22
Steve Goddard

2 comments:

  1. Hello Steve,
    That's actually a Hedge Rustic which is quite a nice find these days. I haven't seen one for three or four years and it seems to be in decline in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief! Thank you, Dave -- that's an unexpected bonus. As usual, upon looking at the relevant illustration, I find myself wondering how I missed it...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.